Monday, June 27, 2011

Women also have their World Football Party!

By Christian Basantes

I grew up in Ecuador, a country where Soccer or Football is the most popular sport. I always heard and knew that Soccer was meant to be for Men, and that's it! I'm sure some women that may be reading this, may think bad about me. However, please don't get me wrong. Throught the years I watched Soccer, I started to see that Women, specially from USA and Canada, play this sport, they love it and they are great players over there. That was a pleasant surprise!

FIFA, as usual, loves to expand the business, loves to bring soccer to all nations and to all people. That's why, they decided that Women should have their World Cup tournament. In 1991, the 1st FIFA Women's World Cup got celebrated in China. A new era for the Beautiful Game had started! 

Since then, every four years, Soccer Women have their party. In short, here we have the Winners for this tournament.
  • China 1991: USA
  • Sweden 1995: Norway
  • USA 1999: USA
  • USA 2007: Germany
  • China 2007: Germany
  • Germany 2011: ?
As you can see, only 3 countries have claimed World victory. Who is going to be crowned in Germany 2011?. Well, I really hope Canada. I know that Canada has a decent team for Women's Soccer, and they always participate in this championship. Also, as a matter of fact, my country Ecuador is not good enough to qualify to this tournament, so we are not good. For that reason, I better cheer for Canada, my adopted country!

The party in Germany has started, let's hope for good games and great victories!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! We're lucky in Canada that the women's game gets support from broadcasters so people can actually see how good they are. It's not every country that can watch the entire Women's World Cup live in HD. And don't forget Canada will be hosting the Women's World Cup in 2015. If we don't win it this time we'll get it next time. ;)

    ReplyDelete